A substance that is used to make the land fertile is called fertilizer. The farmer usually adds fertilizer to land so that plants can grow faster and acquire the proper nutrients needed in order to produce maximum farming.
Bermuda is a type of grass that has many medicinal properties along with the ability to make the lawn beautiful and green. To get perfect Bermuda grass, it is necessary to do fertilization on soil.
So, what is the best fertilizer for Bermuda grass to use in order to achieve maximum growth? There are many fertilizers available on the market, but only a few of them are made especially for Bermuda grass, which can immensely boost up growth rate.
But it is not an easy job to select the fertilizer for Bermuda grass and people get confused about which one to buy. We can help select the one that will meet your needs.
- Loosens and enhances compact soil
- Helps water to move on soil
- Helps air and water to reach downward roots
- Best as a starter fertilizer
- Improve spring Greenup
- Quick-release nitrogen
- Absence of phosphorus, no harm to water
- Can be used in sand type soil
- The negativity of non-toxic chemical
- Low amount of phosphorus
- Polymer coated
- Ideal for all plants
- Strong turf fertilizer
- Effective weed remover
- Slow-release fertilizer
- Slow-release nitrogen fertilizer
- Feeding can be done for a long time
- Perfect for drought condition
- 100% organic
- Perfect for summer weather
- Feed soil and roots
Types Fertilizer for Bermuda Grass
When you are about to choose the type of fertilizer for your Bermuda grass, it is necessary to know the types of fertilizers. To get the best for your grass, you can choose one from various kinds.
In order to get the desired quality of grass, it is mandatory to fertilize the lawn. Many manufacturing companies produce them, but each of them uses slightly different types of nutrient compositions.
- Synthetic fertilizer for St Augustine Grass like ammonium phosphate, muriate of potash, urea, etc. provide nutrients to soil. These inorganic fertilizers increase pH level, reduce chloride, balance nutrients, and provide other essential functions within a short time.
- Generally, for a lawn, the fertilizers which release nutrients slowly are better than the ones that do so faster. In choosing a slower-working fertilizer, the chances of burning down the plants or roots get reduced. In this case, you can use a product like NPK 10-10-10, which includes equal percentages of nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), and potassium (K).
Spring is usually the best time for Bermuda grass since it requires a great deal of sunlight. So, to fertilize your grass, you need to test your soil in order to know what your soil needs. Otherwise, you can use a fertilizer with a ratio of NPK 3-1-2 if you do not have the soil tested. You can also apply slow 1.5 lbs. of release nitrogen every 8-10 weeks or 1 lb. of soluble nitrogen per 1,000 sqft. every 4-6 weeks.
#1 Fertilizer for Bermuda Grass
When you have many options, you will be wondering what fertilizer for Bermuda grass is. Considering the basics, Liquid Aerating Soil Loosener is the best. This fertilizer is capable of boosting any soil type and giving the expected outcome to your grass. If you are not sure which one to get, then you can buy this one without any hesitation.
This fertilizer functions in a completely natural way and doesn’t use any kind of toxic chemicals. While the other fertilizers are based on different chemicals that may have harmful effects on the environment. Also, it is made by a company with 24 years of experience in the industry.
- Product Dimensions: 5 x 2.2 x 8 inches
- Item Weight: 2 pounds
- Manufacturer: United States
- Loosens and enhances compact soil
- Helps water to move on soil
- Aids air and water in getting down to roots
- Adds nutrients to lawn
- Free of toxic chemicals
- Great for every type of soil
- Natural product and safe for children and pets
- If your soil is too hard or of a coral type, it may not work.
Fertilizer for Bermuda Grass – Buying Guide
Since it is very confusing to choose one fertilizer for your soil type from so many options, you must know the right choice. You should keep in mind the overall performance of fertilizers and their factors before going for a purchase. Use the University of California Healthy Lawn Guide
What Types of Fertilizer Exist?
The first thing that pops up in mind what type of fertilizer should you buy. Is it going to be a nitrogen type? A potassium or an organic type? Well, there are many different kinds of synthetic and organic fertilizers available on the market.
- The best type of fertilizer for Bermuda grass is an organic one. It has no chance to burn your grass. It will also provide enough nutrients that will ensure a healthy and green lawn.
- Synthetic fertilizers have several types, like ammonium, potassium, urea, etc. But you can choose organic nitrogen fertilizer for Bermuda grass such as a superior nitrogen or potash fertilizer.
When to Fertilize?
Timing is very critical when it comes to fertilizing Bermuda grass. Based on the environment, a schedule is given below to help you to maintain consistency in the level of nutrients in the soil. By following the chart, you may get a healthy growing season throughout the year (read more).
- Mid-Spring: Once the frost is gone and your lawn is half green, it is the best period to apply fertilizer. It begins to green when there is a consistency of soil temperature of 60-65 degrees. You then apply nitrogen fertilizer at a rate of 1.5 lbs. per 1000 sqft. This will remain approximately 2-3 months.
- Mid-Summer: This is usually late June or early July. You can follow the mid-spring instruction for this season, as well. For both mid-spring and mid-summer, it is good to use a fertilizer that has a slow release of nitrogen.
- Early-Fall: You need to fertilize your land again in late August or early September. During this season you can either stick to the previous formation, or you can go with NPK ratio 12-2-14 or 12-0-12 formation.
- Winter: Well, this is your rest period. You do not need to work on fertilization during this time.
How Often Do You Need to Fertilize?
Fertilizing your lawn depends on your soil type, climate, and your grass type. Usually, you can use fertilizer on your land every 4-6 weeks from March to May. You can then follow up with the same guidelines from June to August. In early fall, fertilize your land once at least 4-6 weeks before the first expected frost.
Other Things You Should Keep in Mind
- Mowing: Mow the lawn using a reel mower when it turns green by setting the mower at .75”-1”. You can leave the grass clippings for decomposition.
- Watering: Proper watering helps the land to grow perfect grass. Watering depends on your soil type.
- Weed Control: It is good to remove and control weed growth in the spring and summertime.
- Insect Control: You can check for the white grubs on your grass and take the necessary steps to control them.
The Best Fertilizers for Bermuda Grass
Don’t have enough time to surf the internet? Then check out the list below to decide which one you should buy.
|Product Name||Cover Area|
|Liquid Aerating Soil Loosener||1 oz per 1000 sqft|
|The Andersons Starter Turf Fertilizer||50 lbs. per 12,500 sqft|
|Superior Nitrogen & Potash||1 gallon per 12,800 sqft|
|Florikan Total Controlled Release Fertilizer||9-14 lbs. per 1000 sqft|
|Lesco Weed & Feed Turf Fertilizer||50 lbs. per 13,000 sqft|
|Milorganite Slow-Release Nitrogen Fertilizer||32 lbs. per 2,500 sqft|
|Natural Alternative Summer Lawn Fertilizer||20 lbs. per 3,000 sqft|
|Product Name||NPK Ratio||Product Weight|
|Liquid Aerating Soil Loosener||Aerator||2 lbs.|
|The Andersons Starter Turf Fertilizer||18-24-12||50 lbs.|
|Superior Nitrogen & Potash||15-0-15||12.1 lbs.|
|Florikan Total Controlled Release Fertilizer||17-5-11||50 lbs.|
|Lesco Weed & Feed Turf Fertilizer||18-0-9||50 lbs|
|Milorganite Slow-Release Nitrogen Fertilizer||6-4-0||32 lbs.|
|Natural Alternative Summer Lawn Fertilizer||7-0-2||20 lbs.|
The top best product [hide]
To cure dry and compact land, this is the best solution available on the market. This will help your lawn to grow Bermuda grass at a large number by letting air and water reach the downward roots. This will losen your compact soil and break them apart so that nutrients can enter the soil. This also helps to promote drainage and make water moveable. This is toxic-free, environmentally-friendly, and bio-degradable. It helps to improve overall soil colloids and grass health. This is also non-toxic to children and safe for pets. It can enhance your lawn condition by improving the soil condition within a short amount of time. In terms of available fertilizers in the market, this is fertilizer for Bermuda grass.
This is the best solution for newly seeded turf. If you are planning to grow Bermuda grass on your lawn for the first time, then this is one of the best choices for you. This helps to balance phosphorus levels and enhance the spring, Greenup. This fertilizer takes 6-8 weeks to fertilize the field. You can apply this right after seeding is done. It will help your grass liven up quickly by root establishment and seedling development. If you are looking for a green Bermuda lawn, go for it and apply to increase grass production. Indeed, it is fertilizer for Bermuda grass seed.
This fertilizer is phosphorus-free and provides key nutrients like nitrogen and potash to the soil. It encourages your Bermuda turf to grow fast, strong, and green. Humic and Fulvic acids enhance the nutrient uptake of damaged lawns. This fertilizer has no toxic chemicals. This nourishes your lawn by providing a healthy lawn full of properly-sized Bermuda grass. This can be used for all types of grass on every type of soil. This is a good pick if you consider the growth of grass and its natural ingredients. It is non-toxic and suitable for every type of land.
This is a high-performance fertilizer. It releases its nutrients very slowly over a long period. It is polymer-coated, which allows release of required nutrients whenever which nutrient is needed. This technology was developed in 2004 with Space Alliance Outreach Program administrated by NASA. This fertilizer has a slow release that ensures trees receive a proper amount of nitrogen. Primarily this fertilizer is made for woody ornamentals and trees, but it is also useful for other plants. Using this on Bermuda seeds can be a great solution in order to get a superior type of Bermuda grass. This fertilizer is ideal as a slow nutrient release fertilizer. If you want to be stress-free with your Bermuda lawn for a long time, then this the best option for you.
If you are hoping for a Bermuda turf, then you can try out this fertilizer. This is another slow-release fertilizer which is also poly coated. This will make your Bermuda turf green and perfect and will provide enough sodium and potassium to the soil. It will go through over a long period of time and the overall system initiates a continuous, reliable, and smooth supply of nutrients to plants. It is a slow releaser. If you are looking for a long-time nutrient provider for your Bermuda lawn, this one is for you.
This fertilizer ensures the healthy growth of your lawn. This is an excellent fertilizer for your Bermuda grass, and it can also help every type of plant to grow perfectly. Along with its slow-release formula, you can avoid mowing your lawn frequently and you can also save water. Its balanced nutrient release formula can save your grass from getting burned and give you a wonderful green lawn. Since it has no salt ingredients, it is ideal for the drought season. To get a healthy and extra green Bermuda grass lawn, this can help you out. This will make you stress-free about feeding soil for a long time.
This is an organic fertilizer that can provide you with a beautiful Bermuda lawn. It is not going to burn your turf like other synthetic fertilizers. If a healthy and green looking turf made with Bermuda is your aim, then use this fertilizer and improve your lawn condition. This fertilizer works best in the summer months depending on the weather condition. It will help to promote the visual appeal of your turf by providing a green and thick look. This organic fertilizer can provide you an eco-friendly and phosphorus-free lawn which will help you to get the best Bermuda lawn.
Fertilizer for Bermuda Gras - FAQs
What is the mix per gallon of water for Liquid Aerating Soil Loosener?
How long after spraying grass seed down can I apply The Andersons Starter Turf Fertilizer?
How often should I apply Superior Nitrogen & Potash?
How quickly will Milorganite Slow-Release Nitrogen Fertilizer green up a yard?
Is Natural Alternative Summer Lawn Fertilizer made with GMO corn?
Liquid Aerating Soil Loosener
After analyzing all these fertilizes and compositions along with their functionality, it is obvious that Liquid Aerating Soil Loosener is fertilizer for Bermuda grass. It is organic and free of phosphorus which not only loosens up the soil and helps water and air to reach the roots, but it also provides a clean water source. You can choose this fertilizer for your lawn in order to get the best Bermuda turf.
It is important to use non-toxic fertilizer to ensure a safe environment. To do so, you can choose organic fertilizer for your lawn.
Liquid Aerating Soil Loosener is the best fertilizer for Bermuda grass. It is an organic product that will not only make your grass healthy and green but also will upgrade the soil condition. It will help soil colloids to break apart and ensure nutrient availability.